Header

Monday, October 13, 2008

:: Post-MCR retreat ::

Went to Bang Saen (Chonburi) over the weekend with my close Thai friend, Fon. =) It was a really impromptu trip. I was supposed to go Cambodia to 'chop' my passport, but P'Pu warned me that I may not be able to re-enter Thailand again because of my previous trips earlier this year. That really got me worried about my visa. I don't want to be blacklisted as an overstayed tourist!

Took a coach to Nong Mone and changed to a sawngtaew to Bang Saen, and halfway we met 3 high school students looking for accommodation in Bang Saen too. We didn't plan where to stay, but to ask around when we arrive. I really envy Thais at times. When they want to enjoy a weekend getaway, there are plenty of choices within the country, and they are able to get around as long as they can speak thai! We asked around for a few places to stay, but almost everywhere was full. The high school students come from all over Thailand to take their Entrance Exam, so they flock to places nearer the exam locations the night before.

We came to this very nice beach resort called The Tide Resort, but it was not affordable. They had a promotion for Standard Chartered cardholders but they don't recognise my card. Now I feel that Standard Chartered is really lousy. Same brand, but cannot withdraw money from the same bank in another country; promotions not available to cardholders of another country. So angry!

I offered to pay for the room (at the full price), but the students were wary of the good deal and decided to find their own accommodation. So Fon and I walked on to find other lodging. Finally came to a "hotel", 500 baht per night and it was really cheap. We took it and checked into our room. It was okay but honestly i was still very gian about the nice resort, after all we were going to have our post-busyness retreat. We went and splurged on a dinner at a nice restaurant instead. We chatted and got to know each other better. At this restaurant by the beach it would be nice to enjoy a beer, but I told myself that this isn't a personal holiday.

As we chatted I thought about the advice from a brother... almost felt like crying because I had been too naive about things. But then again, I also realise that being ignorant abt certain matters is also a bliss. It has protected me from getting involved in difficult situations. I praise God for the friends I met in Thailand... but for now I'm quite sure it's not really my mission ground. Many people ask me if Thailand is my long-term plan. For now I can say that it's not. I'm still seeking God about my future plans.

The next day we sat by the beach the whole day. Not really satisfied because the beach and the sea is not beautiful. Just very amused and intrigued by the new sights. And really praise God for the weather. It was exactly what we prayed for. =) It only started raining on our way back to the town and to Bangkok.

No comments: