Header

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

:: The Pursuit of Happyness ::

YAY I've finally caught The Pursuit of Happyness... And it's so worth it to catch it on DVD because of the special features and behind-the-scenes!

I wasn't so happy about the ending because it ends describing the success of Chris Gardner's career, as though that is the source of happiness. I was expecting his wife to come back to him, or he'd find another woman who is willing to take care of his son. Of course his wife was not right to walk out of him during the toughest time of his life.

But I realise that this is a true story, and things do not happen as perfectly as I wished. And I realise that this is a story of a single father working hard to provide for his son, not about a family sticking through thick and thin.

Through the behind-the-scenes, I learnt that the man who passed by Will Smith at the ending was Chris Gardner himself. And that making this movie, walking through all the places where he suffered, was like re-living his past. It hurt damn a lot, but it also helped to heal his soul. Sometimes I think we should do that often. What we have become today, we ought to attribute to the pains we suffered in the past. Every thing in the past has caused us to become what we are today. Like for me, my dad's teachings, the time I was so poor I wore the same seriously-undersized school shoes until it wore out, and many many experiences, has caused me to feel for the poor and want to do something for them.

But I'm missing home now. I want my own room, my own space, so much that I cannot hear where God is calling me next. Having to be asked to move out so many times has made me unwilling to stay here any longer. I've learnt that I'm not so adaptable after all. I've been very pampered at home after all. Suddenly I feel like I'm not cut out for the field after all.

No comments: