Header

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

:: Hebrews 12 ::

I think that Hebrews itself is a commentary.. The writer is a Bible scholar who knew his Jewish history well, and is using his understanding of the Scriptures to prove truths about Jesus.

In chapter 12, verse 3 I find great encouragement: Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Jesus endured pain on the cross, and suffered humiliation by the very people who hung Him there. Throughout His life we also read that there were always people trying to oppose Him, His words and actions. They were leaders of the Jewish temples! They knew the Word of God well and yet still ignorant of its meaning. They were sinful because they did not accept Jesus as who the Word says He is.

As I was thinking of that verse, very sadly the people I consider "sinful" were actually some people from church. I don't understand.. they acknowledge their weaknesses very openly, which is supposedly a step towards repentance.. and then? they acknowledge it again and again and people just laugh off the seriousness of it. Isn't it their fault for causing me to judge them? Hmm.. argh. Sometimes I grow weary of checking my own walk and lose heart of keeping the standard when everyone else seems to not be living up to the standard also.. Like many years ago I started drinking because someone from church drinks, and everyone else just teases him about it. Ya la there shldn't be condemnation but there shld be some form of discipline...? Am I warped or what? Is it very selfish of me to expect others to set an example for me?

P.S. During Sunday Prayer Chris shared Psalm 73... guess that's some kind of encouragement ba. I'm not supposed to compare my walk with other people, but... that's how I am, always comparing with other people.

verse 7: Endure hardship as discipline

I've been stressed out last Fri night, thinking about the things I have to sell in order to survive 3-4 months unemployed, with driving lessons and trips to finance. Yet at the same time I'm telling myself that God provides. He has called me out of my job, He will help me through. It's gonna be hard knowing full well how much savings I have and that it's gonna run out in 3 month's time. I have to discipline myself in terms of spending. Hmm.. but Jac suggests that I don't have to restrict myself so painfully.. indeed, I ought to enjoy this time of rest and not stress myself out.

verse 11: No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Think of it this way, after the 3-4 months, I would emerge stronger, with skills in driving, cycling, a new language, and experience in overseas missions!

No comments: