Header

Sunday, August 17, 2008

:: morning! ::

Good morning! so far i've been able to wake up early for the past 2 days :D It's 8am in Singapore now, but over here it's still 7am. That means i woke up at 6.30am Thai time. woohooo u can never catch me up at that time back home. hahaha.. no motivation to, unless it's to catch a flight, catch a sunrise while at a chalet, or worse still, do work overnight etc. Well, sun rises early here la.

Update from yesterday morning: Auntie Xiuling chatted with me while she heated up the spaghetti from dinner the previous night. I kinda shared that i was concerned about the poor children in Thailand, but she shared the real side of this ministry. She said that the poor people just want to be poor, they just want to depend on other people. If the children receive a pair of shoes from you, the parents would sell it to buy booze. (instant gratification - they don't see things in the long term) It's discouraging, but that doesn't mean i should stop trying.

Went to church at 9.30am with Rev Yee and his youngest son, Ryan, who reminds me soooo much of Wiky (hair style, meekness). I didn't know Rev Yee drives in Thailand! That's great! (i kinda crinch at the idea of motorcycle taxi - not because it's dangerous, but because i can't get on it! Makes me feel heavy and clumsy.) He introduced me to P'Jarim, the social worker at RCDC. i erm can't really remember what people do at where, so people gotta correct me hehehe.. forgivable la, it's just my 2nd day here.

Joined P'Jarim and team for devotion before Children's church starts. She was trying hard to translate for me what the leader (of the devotion) is sharing, but i couldn't catch her anyway :P Children's service was interesting, seems much like a routine, all the children knew what to do, how to dance to the songs, kneel during prayer, cross their arms during sermon. Probably about 30 kids there.

After the sermon the kids broke up into 5 groups. i was lost at first, because i went to the toilet just before they split up. So i wandered around (i was told to observe anyway) until i found P'Jarim. She asked me to follow her to a class upstairs. I joined her to teach mathematics to 3 girls.. Gosh (852X56)/35.... my instant reaction to such a sum would be to take out my calculator! After the class, i've learned how to say multiply (koon) in thai (owww i forgot the rest!)

P'Jarim got a debrief with some of the leaders, so I was waiting with a few other youths who helped out. Sam was the only one who could speak English, so we talked. He's 20 and in university now. The other youths were only 13-14. I asked him to teach me the Thai alphabet pinned on the wall. Just after we were done, the debrief ended, and i went for lunch with P'Jarim. She treated me to fried rice at the hospital cafe next door! And I just found out that Sam is her son! haha..

After lunch we headed back to church and I joined Fon to teach English. She's pretty good! The students were the same youths who helped out at the Children's Church. They were all shy.. haha. Typical thai la.

Went back to my cubicle in the office where Fon suggested i go out with her, instead of attending the piano concert with Rev Yee's family. I ermm dun really know how to appreciate classical music and find it a bit awkward to join them for such a formal event, so i was glad to have the chance to go out with Fon instead. I will be travelling up to 3 provinces in Thailand with her (trip postponed to 1st-7th Sept), so I'm so glad we can hit it off well.

Walked to Sala Daeng BTS station to take BTS to MBK with her. Got a thai sim card, travel adapter, and some toiletries at Tops. And we had dinner at the food court (i almost wanted to introduce her to Mr Meng dim sum, which is a bit more extravagant...) where I had Vietnamese fresh spring rolls!!! wooohooo!! Satisfied my craving. There were..yup a lot of leaves and veggies, and i ate until the taste makes me sick. haha.

P'Bia joined us at the food court, and we went to Fon's house together. Chilled out and watched Stromy Night (Japanese anime, supposed to mean Stormy Night). I was quite bored most of the time cuz the dubbing was in thai. hahaha. i kept asking, "kao bpai nai?" (where are they going?) cuz there doesn't seem to be a story.

It was deuk laew and P'Bia wanted to klap baan laew, so we walked her out to the main road. And then we caught a tuk-tuk to a nearby Tops supermarket - it looks like King Albert's Park's Cold Storage! so high class-looking. They don't sell Yakult there apparently. Even their Vitagen is spelt Betagen. :S I bought Meiji brand UHT drink instead. Took taxi back to Fon's place and just nice Rev Yee was back from the concert and picked me up.

Washed up, charged my laptop... i wanted to lie in bed and wait till it finished charging, then i would pull out the plug, but i fell asleep immediately! when i woke up in the morning i found myself at the same position i fell asleep in. hahaha..

No comments: